Thursday, February 18, 2016

Feb.16,17,18 at the Racquet Club

February 16....First full day back at Racquet Club


Yesterday was Volcano Day and we arrived pretty late to our new digs. It is a unit which is ocean front. This allows for constant or at least serious viewing just sitting on the lanai.
Today is Tuesday Feb.16.
I am lucky not to have to go shopping today at Costco and KTA grocery store. Adrienne and Jean and Kim are gone quite a while to make sure many of the food supplies for the next two weeks will be at hand.
Fortunately in staying back at the condo unit, the whale action really started up. I  had planned to go walking around or scouting the neighbourhood when spouts of mist appeared over the Pacific. Yes I had to check closely that it was pairs of whales. The unit two floors above were also whale watching so it was easy to pay attention when someone caught sight of some. Also, the whales were in fairly close. Maybe a kilometer or so. Then I saw a pair of whales further on where one was just spouting water And the other was showing off by fin slapping repeatedly. Very memorable.
So this was my "day off". No driving, for example. I took my usual morning walk to the surfers' beach and then I took a late afternoon walk to Keahou Bay where all the tour boats are harboured. I saw our boat from Captain Cook's voyage come back with an excessive, about 30 passengers aboard. It is good that we went on the morning trip to Captain Cook because the afternoon trip seems very crowded.
Kim and I have delicious leftovers. The soba noodles with Adrienne's stir fry put together from about 4 or 5 days ago but it was still just as good.


February 17......My turn to take us to Kahaluu snorkelling beach


So today is Kim's day off from driving the car. I take Adrienne and Jean and myself to the snorkelling beach. The weather is very pleasant...of course...and we are just before the high tide mark.
For me it is always different since I am such a novice. The underwater world is amazing to behold. Adrienne is enjoying the water as well and it takes a bit of carefully stepping to get into the water and out of the water.
This is Wednesday which means the Huge Cruise Boat is in the Kailua harbour. Cruise people will be amongst the newbie snorkelers. In spite of "overcrowding" this is still a number one swimming area. I talk to a volunteer lady at a fishes demonstration station. Adrienne and Jean join to relate our experiences with the Hawaiian fish. Volunteers, she says, often ask and advise swimmers to not walk on the coral but the odd, yes very odd person could not care less.
So it is a fairly complete day even if it is only an hour or a ittle bit more of being in the ocean. The afternoon has a little bit of rain, not much, and we do not go to th pol.
Dinner is a treat because we have bottle  of Margeaux to go with lamb chops, Greek salad, beans and pineapple for dessert.


Feb.18th, Thursday


Early morning walk. A good long one to the tour boats anchorage harbour. The tour boats do not dock during the night but go to anchor within the bay. For security it is best to have the boats away from the dock. Also the dock is only so big and cannot accommodate all boats at once.
Looks like a nice day. It is 10am as I am writing but I think we are going for a snorkel.





































No comments:

Post a Comment