Saturday, February 20, 2016

Feb.18th and on Feb.19th Girls go to Top of Mauna Kea

Feb.18th.....continued from last Blog


This is Thursday and yes we three (Kim and Jean and I) went snorkelling at Kahaluu Beach. We went around 11am since high tide was around noon.
Again many fishes to see. The water is so clear once you get away from the main entrance traffic of newbie swimmers. The current is not as strong as the day before so it was easier for me to go a little further. The coral "canyons" also deserve so much attention. All shapes and sizes. Fish swimming in and out all the timed. This time I saw a large school of swim lazily going from coral outcrop to coral outcrop. I had to check with the educational volunteers who always display photos of the most common fish species.
So I am so tired I do not have to go to the pool with the other three. Dinner is pasta with Jean's spaghetti sauce. Very good. Kim and I split a bottle of Shiraz from Jacob's Creek's.




Feb.19th....Girls go to Top of Mauna Kea


In response to a big tourism day for Adrienne and Jean we are very inactive in the morning. Being ocean-side often lends itself to taking it easy. The usual small birds approach the lenai so we can be amused by these alone. And the ocean is beautiful.
Kim and I drop of Adrienne and Jean for their trip to the heights of Mauna Kea. To spend our time, Kim and I start by walking along Turtle Beach. I call it that because I would have to look up the Hawaiian name of this trail and beach park just north of Kailua Kona. Yes, we are lucky to be at the hugh tide mark and many Hawaiian Sea turtles are coming in to shore. One of them is taking his time. Waiting for the right wave to push him further over the rocky lava shore. Some turtles have climbed up very far on a sandy swimming beach area. One of them seems to be looking to go as far as possible...maybe to lay some eggs some time. Usually I think they do this at a high tide in the middle of the night.
Tennis...Kim and I play 30 minutes of tennis. Not too bad. The courts are very rubbery which is good for the feet. The tennis ball reacts a little different on this surface. It is a little hard to get used to it.
For dinner I drive us to the Fish Bowl Restaurant. Although this is mainly a take-out place. The fish they are serving is Ahi. The Ahi fish is a generous portion fried with a panko coating. Our order (each) also includes brown rice a small but delicious side of seaweed cut into tiny ribbons.
Next, Kim and I have to stop at the Rebel Kitchen on the way back to the condo. We each quaff a pint of local Porter beer. It comes from a brewery in Waimea I believe. Since we engage the waitress in a long conversation, she says she grew up in this very area. She is telling us about a young girl's growing up and getting into trouble sometimes.
Off to get Adrienne and Jean from their mountain journey.






















No comments:

Post a Comment